Physical medicine is used in combination with therapeutic measures since it cannot replace any method of treatment on its own, but it significantly reduces medication intake and speeds up the patient’s rehabilitation.
Who Is a Physical Medicine Doctor?
Physical medicine doctor helps to recover and return to a “full life” for patients with a complicated physical or psycho-emotional state. This profession is at the junction of three specialties: medicine, pedagogy, and psychology. Such specialist develops recovery methods and implements them in the process of working with patients. The main task of pelvic health physical therapy is the most complete restoration of body functions disturbed as a result of an injury or disease.
Scope of Work
Physical medicine doctor treats:
- complications after an illness or injury;
- pathological disorders of the functions of the cardiovascular system in the post-infarction and post-stroke period;
- problems of the musculoskeletal system;
- neurosurgical and neurological functional disorders;
- impotence and infertility;
- respiratory failure of various origins;
- skin diseases;
- congenital and acquired disabilities.
The doctor who is engaged in physical medicine should:
- Assess the patient’s condition and prospects for fully or partially restoring lost body functions.
- Interacting with the attending physician, conduct a complete reasonable examination.
- Develop an individual rehabilitation plan (physiotherapy exercises, reflex, physio, and occupational therapy).
- Be able to use the equipment for recovery procedures (baths, gymnastic kits, various devices).
- Refer a patient with persistent impairments for a medical and social examination.
- Maintain relevant documentation.
Also, the tasks of the physical medicine doctor include monitoring the effectiveness of the methods used and, if necessary, correcting the prescription scheme. If the patient needs a specialist’s help in psychotherapy, the doctor provides his advice.
The scope of competence of the physical medicine specialist also includes:
- the choice of motor mode;
- use of medical devices (for example, simulators) according to indications;
- advising relatives or guardians of the patient on his care of him,
- and assistance in rehabilitation.
If necessary, the doctor provides emergency medical care.
Features of Activities
Doctors of physical medicine often encounter patients whose prognosis cannot be called comforting. Their patients can be people who do not have a chance for a complete restoration of vital body functions and are psychologically tense and anxious. They are not always ready for a long, sometimes painful therapy — they need motivation and support. Therefore, the specialist must be patient, restrained, and calm. A doctor of physical medicine must have a perfect knowledge of anatomy and physiology and be versed in all areas of medicine and the classification of diseases.
Physical medicine doctor carries out consultative and therapeutic activities and works with patients of different age categories, including children and the elderly, as well as patients with congenital pathologies. He can independently engage in massage and physiotherapy and conduct classes in physiotherapy exercises.